Upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy Jellyfish)
In this guide, we will see how to upgrade an existing Ubuntu 20.04 based Cloudron to Ubuntu 22.04. If you are still on Ubuntu 18, you must first upgrade to Ubuntu 20 before upgrading to Ubuntu 22. Follow this guide to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.
Please note that Ubuntu 20.04 will be supported by Canonical till 2024. Cloudron will support 18.04, 20.04 and 22.04. It has the same feature set across all the versions.
Before upgrading, please note the following:
- Cloudron has to be on atleast version 7.2. This can be verified by checking the version in the Settings view. Cloudron releases prior to 7.2.0 do not support Ubuntu 22.04.
- Ubuntu has to be on version 20.04. Check the output of
lsb_release -ato confirm this.
- The upgrade takes around 1-3 hours based on various factors like network/cpu/disk etc
Upgrade fails with Full text search feature
There is a bug in Cloudron 7.2 where in the mail server does not start in Ubuntu 22 when the Full text search feature is turned on. Please wait till Cloudron 7.3 to upgrade.
Before starting the upgrade process, it's a good idea to create a server snapshot to rollback quickly. If your VPS does not have snapshotting feature, it's best to create a full Cloudron backup before attempting the upgrade (Backups -> Create Backup now).
Start the upgrade:
# dpkg --configure -a # apt update # apt upgrade # do-release-upgrade -d
- Accept running an additional ssh deamon at port 1022
- Choose 'yes' to Restart services without asking.
- For all packages (mime, nginx, timesyncd, logrotate, journald etc), select N or O : keep your currently-installed version. This is the 'default'.
nginxupgrade might fail towards the end. You can ignore this.
Verify that ubuntu upgraded using
/home/yellowtent/box/scripts/init-ubuntu.shto install missing packages.
/home/yellowtent/box/setup/start.shto fix up package configuration.
Ubuntu 22 uses cgroups v2 by default. All the docker containers have to be recreated to recognize this change in host configuration. To complete the upgrade, run
/home/yellowtent/box/scripts/recreate-containersscript. This script is only part of Cloudron 7.3. For earlier versions, it can be downloaded here.
lsb_release -awill output Ubuntu 22.04.
systemctl status boxwill say
systemctl status collectdwill say
- Verify that all the services in the Services view of Cloudron dashboard are running.